Thursday, May 2, 2013

Affirmative Action


Jackie Faugno
Individual Blog Post #4

I do not think affirmative action is moral. To accept an individual into a college, or to offer them a job based on the fact that they are a woman or a minority is wrong, just as it is wrong to deny the individual acceptance into a college or a job offer based on their gender or race. I think college admissions and job acceptance should be based on merit. If you are not qualified for a job position, then you should not receive it. It is unfair to both the employee and the company, and I believe the same goes for college admissions. If the candidate in both scenarios cannot handle the workload expected of them, they will suffer by getting bad grades, being stressed out, or, worst case, getting fired or put on academic probation. The same is true for the college or employer; their reputation will suffer if they have individuals attending/employed that are not capable of performing up to their standards. I also think affirmative action is just another form of discrimination, just, in the case of affirmative action, the discrimination is against a majority group in favor of a minority group. I believe all forms of discrimination are wrong and immoral, and this situation is no different. As a female, I would not want to receive a job offer/college admission just because of my gender. I want to get one because I worked hard to prove myself as the best possible candidate. I do not need any favors. As I said before, it is unfair to both parties involved, and could have unwanted consequences. I think job offers and college acceptances should be based on merit, not gender or race.     

No comments:

Post a Comment